Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Secret Pregnancy Powers

Almost  9 weeks in and I am amazed at the superhero powers that are emerging from my barely pregnant self. The first?
Super human sense of smell.
I worked at Chick-Fil-A for a few years in high school and so I became very familiar with the smell of a Chick-Fil-A. Not just the smell of the nuggets, but of the entire store. The grease, the cleaning supplies, the bags, the boxes… all of the parts make up a very distinct aroma. Which apparently latches to people when they spend more than 20 minutes in a Chick-Fil-A. The week after I found out I was pregnant I was making copies in the teacher’s lounge and thought to myself, “something smells like a Chick-Fil-A, I must find it” (it was almost teacher appreciation week so I was hoping for Chicken Minis). I walked around the building and didn’t find anything so I went back and continued making copies. A co-worker walked in so being 6 weeks pregnant and food at the forefront of all my thoughts and surely a conversation topic for anyone I said, “Something smells like Chick-Fil-A” and she told me that she and her daughter had that for breakfast and she just finished her Chicken Minis. Yeah, okay. I’m amazing.
Super human sense of taste. 
My yogurt had stevia in it today. I do not like stevia. I read this on the label after I tasted it, immediately recognized the dirty fake that was pretending to be sugar and after I read “no artificial sweeteners” on the label, read all of the ingredients down to the last one, ” Stevia leaf extract”. Way to ruin a perfectly good cup of black cherry yogurt, Chobani. 
Super human hunger.
I wake up hungry. I eat, and an hour later I need a snack. I actually think that eating makes me hungry. I am weaning myself off of nausea meds and I find that nauseous is the new way my body tells me that I am hungry. 
Super human napping powers.
I can sleep anytime, anywhere. I have become a pro at sleeping in the car on the way to work, on the way home, on my carpet in my classroom during planning and for 3 minutes in between classes. 
That is all for now. Can’t wait for what powers the rest of this adventure brings… 

No comments:

Post a Comment